Thursday, September 22, 2011

There's Joy in Suffering

Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus. 1 Thessalonias 5:16-18, NIV)
It's not easy to be joyful when you're going through tough times. It's difficult to praise God when you're miserable and problematic and in pain.

I had my first taste of climbing a mountain yesterday. It wasn't an easy feat and it just got more strenuous when my calves and thighs started cramping. I can run a good distance so I thought I could endure climbing but only when I was out there did I realize that the environment was so much different. I was battling with my physical condition at the same time stressing out emotionally because I knew I was slowing the team down.

But God met me when I needed Him most. He did not miraculously heal my cramps but He gave something much more valuable -- His joy.
I have told you these things so that you will be filled with my joy. Yes, your joy will overflow! (John 15:11, NLT)
I was able to overcome the excruciating pain and reached the summit. It took me a painful while to do so but I appreciated the view and  the success more because I knew my way there was not easy.

And without God's joy, I would have broken down and given up.





A more detailed story about my epic climb and how God met me at Mt. Batulao is found in my other blog: http://mynameiseka.blogspot.com


No comments:

Post a Comment